A really old classic mental magic trick, this is actually based on a simple mathematical quirk. It’s a great magic trick to try on a friend or indeed on a member of an audience.
The magician apparently predicts the thoughts of the spectator..
1. Ask the spectator to choose a number between 2 and 9.
2. Tell them to take the number that they’ve chosen and multiply it by 9.
3. This should give them a two digit number. Told them to add the two digits of the number together. For example, if their number is 14, take the one and four and add them to make five.
4. Tell them to subtract five from the resulting number.
5. Ask them to take the number they now have and make it correspond to a letter in a alphabet. ie. A =1, B=2, C=3, etc.
6. Ask your spectator to take their letter, and think of a country that begins with that letter. For example, “B” might make them think of Brazil, “D” could be Denmark or “F” could be France.
7. Tell them to take the second letter in the name of that country and associate it with an animal. For example, “P” may go with Penguin and “Z” may associate with Zebra.
8. Ask the spectator if they now have a country and animal and that they have to hold those thoughts in their mind whilst you with the magician concentrate.
9. Ask the spectator in a really puzzled voice: “Are there really elephants in Denmark?”
Discover more Mental Magic Tricks